Saturday, December 5, 2009

One of Those Days


I had kind of a bad day today. It was a day that would have made the most well-adjusted person paranoid.

I was eating lunch at a cafe with a friend, and I decided to play a song on the jukebox. A little boy was flipping through the songs. So I waited a few minutes or so, then said, "Do you mind if a play a song, then you could look so more?". A middle-aged woman at the booth nearby snarled, "He's playing a song." I blurted out, "Oh he has money?". I don't know why I said that, truly, but my tone was friendly. She just looked at me with an icy stare. She said "He already put it in. Will you show him how to do it?" This was said in an unfriendly tone, and she went back to staring at her cell phone (she was texting). So I helped the kid choose the song he wanted, then put my money in and picked my song. I just wanted to get away from there so I quickly picked She Blinded Me With Science by Thomas Dolby. Not a bad song choice, since I love 80's rock, but still not my first choice. If there was a song title She Blinded Me With Rudeness I would have played that. Then the kid says, " No I wanted this song" picking another song different from the one he first chose. I had a vision of the kid throwing a tantrum, and the woman beating the crap out of me (she was bigger than I am), so I said (within earshot of the woman), "Oh hold on I'll get another quarter". I went back to my table and got another quarter from my friend, and picked the song. The woman never thanked me. She still had her snout in her cell phone.

When I went back to my table, my food had arrived and it was cold because of the time I spent at the jukebox. The woman was in viewing range, and was talking on her cell phone now, even though she had someone else at the table (someone who I gave a little smile to,mostly out of pity, but he didn't smile back and just turned his head away). The she went back to texting. Her food arrived and I saw her shovel it into her mouth, taking large mouthfuls, and talking with her mouth full. She let out a loud burp, but did say excuse me. Then she got up to use the rest room, loudly coughing without covering her mouth, not even the non-elbow way of covering it. Back at her table, she sat down and proceeded to lay her head back and close her eyes. She was taking a nap! It blew my mind, let me tell you.

I decided to put the incident behind me as best as I could, and go shopping. Now, I have a habit of giving a little friendly smile to everyone I go by, even if I don't know them. Ninety-five percent of the people smile back. Today I did my smile thing and everyone seemed to have a slight scowl on their faces. I asked my friend "do I have something on my face or stuck in my teeth? Is my hair messy?" She reassured me everything was fine. What was going on? Were people just stressed out about Christmas? Were they just worried about the snow coming tonight? Did they turn into zombies?

The rest of the time I spent shopping I decided not to look at anyone, certainly not smile at them. I thought about spending the night with Ben and Jerry, drowning my sorrows (icing my sorrows?), but I resisted. I couldn't wait to get home and read my Zombie Survival Guide.

No comments: